So, I’m still waiting on that second agent. And the truth is, I don’t know if I want a yes or no.
That feedback the other agency gave me was good, and I’ve started incorporating it. So now I have two versions of the book sitting here – one I’ve sent out, and one that’s a little better. Not only did the feedback inspire a change at the beginning of the book, but also gave me a great idea for the end of the book, too.
And the stuff I did at the end (which I’ll do regardless, since the agent I’m waiting for hasn’t seen the end) sets up the book for a possible sequel. 🙂 Which is something that should probably go in the query letter.
To be honest, I’ve been a little too busy with work and daddyhood to think much about waiting for this agent. It’s been more than a week; his website said if I don’t hear from him in two weeks, I won’t. (I know there’s a valid reason for that, but when they all say it, it seems more intimidating, somehow.) So in a few more days, it won’t matter what I do to the book. 🙂 That said, though, it also means I haven’t sent this new version out, in part because I haven’t finished it yet. Basically, what I’m doing is taking a scene that’s in Chapter 1 out of it. Well, two scenes, really. One of them, while interesting, really isn’t necessary for the story. And the other one is, but it doesn’t have to be in Chapter 1. So I’m looking for the best place to move that, and to filter in the few tidbits from the other unnecessary scene that do have to be shared somewhere, but can be done in other ways.
I guess it’s fine-tuning. I’m not sure I’d have believed how many minor tweaks could go into a 93,000-word story if you told me that before I started.